Thursday, October 8, 2009

Mom's Night Off... Cheeseboard Pizza

After the debacle that was last night's dinner and the fact that I am cooking far more than I usually do), I decided to take tonight off and pick up a pizza from one of my favorite food places on the planet- The Cheeseboard.


The Cheeseboard is a true Berkeley Landmark. I love that the worker-owners there make you feel like family. When Ivan works from home, our morning ritual involves a walk up the block to pick up some lattes (which I consider the best in North Berkeley!) a corn cherry scone for Ivan, an asiago cheese roll for me and the boys split an incredibly decadent Chocolate Thing, an enormous roll of warm bread with chunks of melted chocolate baked in, and yes...it is actually called a Chocolate Thing :).

Cheese Rolls

... and while our family knows it as our place for morning coffee and freshly baked treats, it probably best known as a cheese lovers paradise, with offerings of hundreds of different types of cheese. I recently became smitten with Il Boschetto al Tartufo, a mild semisoft cheese blend of sheep and cow's milk, loaded with white truffle bits...mmmm

Il Boschetto al Tartufo and grapes, my special treat
Cheeseboard pizzas are truly special. They use gourmet cheeses, olive oil rather than tomato sauce and seasonal vegetables. They serve only one kind a day and it varies. Tonight's pizza is fresh corn and chile pasilla, onions, feta and mozzarella cheeses, garlic olive oil, cilantro and Mexican key lime :)

Thanks so much for your gadget suggestions! I'm leaning towards an immersion blender, especially after last night's soup. I'm taking your suggestions and going to cook it again and blend it. You have all been so lovely in joining me in my cooking journey, wish I could have you all over for warm soup, crusty bread and some good wine!

Please come visit tomorrow as I am finally going to do my first giveaway!
(and I promise it's something really fun!)




8 comments:

Rhiann said...

Gosh. I haven't been to The Cheeseboard in years. I'd quite forgotten about it.

I think I'll have to take A there for a field trip very soon!

Kitchen Gadgets: Do you have a microplane? I used my allllllllll the time!

Nicola said...

i love your new header, marina!
i love the cheeseboard. (they have a fabulous cookbook, which i own and actually do use. ever do that? own but not use a cookbook?) my brother and i were talking about it recently and he commented "i wonder why we weren't raised on the cheese board." we grew up nearby and although we had food from there occasionally, it wasn't our parents' go-to place for fresh cheeses and breads.
nicola
http://whichname.blogspot.com

Lisa said...

Oh, Marina, how we LOVE the cheeseboard! We were just there Wednesday morning to get some cheese rolls and brioche! Goose loves their roma tomatoe pizza. It really is a treasure!

* * said...

The colors in your banner are so rich and lovely! Your photos and descriptions are making me hungry!!! : ) It sounds like a lovely visit!

Anonymous said...

mmm, sounds yummy. one of those little local places that is uniquely perfect.

themagiconions said...

Wow... you have gorgeous Autumn goodies!! Love your squirrel and am in love with your gnome home!
Thanks you so much for sharing on Friday's Nature Table... you've inspired me to get our Fall table into creation or it'll be too late!
Blessings and magic.

Tonya Gunn said...

Oh, that looks sooo good - what a treat!

taisa said...

Oh my. This looks amazing. Living in a small town where getting specialty *anything* in nearly impossible, having this cheese shop nearby is enviable! Yum!