Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Our Days

It's been a quiet, sweet time here. It feels like Spring has set a rhythm to our days that lends itself to lots of wonderful time outside. The boys and I have been working in the yard, preparing it for planting and I'm sure it's not news to anyone that 2 and 3 year olds are excellent at pulling weeds :). I started some seedlings in eggshells this week and it makes me happy to see them whenever I'm on our front porch.

I've been rediscovering my passion for books and reading lately. A frequent stop for us these days has been our library which just happens to be across from Matteo's school. It's such a pretty building, designed by Julia Morgan, very typically Berkeley with arts and crafts architecture. It's so amazing to me that I can look up books online and they'll be ready for me at our local branch within a few days- faster AND cheaper than Amazon! I've just finished Run by Ann Patchett and the Three Junes by Julia Glass, such lovely books. I find such nourishment from reading and the escape to other lives and places.

Aren't these shoes just godawful bright and ugly? Yet, they represent so much hope for me. Hope that I can reclaim my body. Hope that I can make time for myself. I've taken them on a few runs and have been pleasantly surprised that I didn't keel over after a few blocks. I know my body has been doing some important work these past 4 years making babies and all, but darn it, I want it back! I started running with my dad when I was 10 years old and it has always been a way for me to work out problems and relieve stress, as well as helping me keep my weight down. Well, there's more than a bit of weight to come off, but I'm hopeful these ugly shoes will help.


Matteo and Nico have really taken to riding around on their balance bikes. It just seemed like yesterday we were pushing them around the neighborhood on their tricycles. It makes me laugh to see them zipping around the block on these two wheelers without pedals, though there is a twinge of melancholy as I wonder when did these babies of mine turn into such little boys?

The time has been passing so quickly these days, dear friends. What have you been doing to enjoy the Spring?


6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh, that last picture is so beautiful!!
It seems like some sort of enchanted green land (can't wait for that much green!)... so pretty.

And "go, Shoes!" :)

Me, too.

Jenne said...

Marina, as always, your posts inspire me! Much love to you!

Jen said...

I love the egg shell garden. I can't wait to start some herbs.

And thanks for props to the library. I loved both of those books. I've just started Remembering the Bones by Frances Itani and am really enjoying it.

I thought of you while I tried running a bit today. geez, that is HARD!

Anonymous said...

Alright already! I'm job hunting in your general direction, running & reading girl. Now, get Thou dear spouse to do the same in my future direction. It's time for a convergence!

Anonymous said...

I love your writing Marina!...The egg shell plants is such a great idea...I also have been thinking of starting running, and I will soon own a pair of ugly sneakers as well :-)

FrontierDreams said...

yay for you!!! im sooo there with you! i miss running so much and started back up last month with my paw paw pup <3 it puts me in the best mood!