Friday, November 14, 2008

With our hands


Yesterday the boys and I decided to make homemade playdough. I've always been a little freaked out by the neon colors and smell of the stuff you buy in the store so when I came across a recipe at Tiny Bird Organics I decided to give it a try at home.

Home-made playdough recipe
1.5 cups flour
1/3 cup salt
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1.5 cups water
1.5 tablespoon vegetable oil

Mix ingredients together in a stove-top pan (first the dry ingredients, then adding the water and oil, and food coloring if desired), and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until it thickens.

Cook for 4-6 minutes until it starts looking like 1 continuous globular mass (after 2-3 minutes it just has some smaller non-connected globs forming and lots of goo still, but it will start clumping all together soon if you keep stirring up the thickened parts off the bottom of the pan).

Then dump/scoop it on a plate, let cool for about 3 minutes, and then knead it into a ball. If it's still too sticky after forming into a ball, you can add a little flour to it, or next time just cook it a little longer.

There is something very visceral and comforting about kneading warm dough. The homemade dough ended up having a really nice smooth texture and natural smell. This recipe makes about a pound of dough. We ended up doing a pound a color and have a nice stash to keep us busy!

Matteo concentrating

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your recipe, I think I will make some with my son next week. Love you blog btw.!

Anonymous said...

Ate maline!! this blog is so cool. =) you are such a great mom...i could only hope to be an awesome mom like you someday.

Marina said...

Eva, Thanks for visiting and your kind words! You guys will have so much fun with it!

Kathryn, thanks for stopping by. You are WAY too sweet, I bet you're going to be the fun mom that all the kids want to hang out with {{hugs}}!

Kimberly said...

Thank you! This looks like such a fun project to make.

seedpod said...

I tried this play-dough recipe today with my toddlers ages 2 (in a week) and 3 1/2. As a mom of 5 I've tried lots of homemade dough recipes, but this is the first one I've had to cook and it turns out so nice! It really is the best homemade play-dough we've ever tried.

(I found you via Sew Liberated.)

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. It turned out perfect! My 20 month old really enjoyed playing with it.

Friday Moments said...

Thank you for this recipe! I made blue and yellow and it was really easy. The hardest part was to figure out what ' cream of tartar' is in Dutch :-) ..it is wijnsteenzuur. Once I got the rest was easy. I can't wait for my son to wake up :-)

Kira =] said...

Thank you for the recipe! Made red, pink & purple today so the munchkins all had their own color to start with. Surprised everyone with how easy it is to make it myself! =]

Bonnie said...

Do you refrigerate the dough after play?

Unknown said...

had lots of fun with my grandchildren. they made :blue, pink, and green. well we learned to follow the directions. :)

grandmother, molly, and clay

Cham said...

This was a wonderful recipe. It was easy to do and so much fun. We put glitter and flavors and gave them as party favors. The kids LOVED it. I can't wait to do another batch.

kevnjacks said...

We made some with the kiddies this rainy day and it turned out so well! We love it! Thanks for the great recipe! :)