Thursday, February 12, 2009

Crazy Crayon Hearts

I feel as if I should start a category called Crafting-By-The-Seat-Of-Your-Pants. Matteo's Valentines Day party was at school today and as usual, I was pulling something together at the last minute yesterday, though I had this idea in mind for a few weeks.

We made heart shaped crazy crayons, which are incredibly easy and fairly quick.



First, we peeled the paper off of our gazillions of broken crayon pieces and broke them into smaller pieces (I put them in a plastic bag covered with a dishtowel and let the boys go to town hammering at it)









Then melted them at 250 degrees for about 7 minutes. I learned from previous experience that when you let them melt for too long you just get a big pool of brown wax. Here they are after they've cooled and I've taken them out of the forms.









I used Valentine themed stamps, labels and red yarn to make tags. I crocheted 30 stitches (leaving about 6" at each end) to make it a little bigger than bracelet sized.














and MY favorite part... drilled holes into the hearts to thread the yarn through. Don't you just love crafts that involve power tools?













and Voila'! Our (nearly) quick and easy Valentine craft :)

Wishing Everyone Much Love!

17 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great idea;o) So lovely!!

Anonymous said...

that's so cute! What a great idea

Jenne said...

This is the coolest idea ever! I only wish I had read it a week ago so I could have borrowed the idea from you! There's always next year...

Anonymous said...

Love it! You're a wiz :-) I've tried just making "pucks" before and maybe it's my poor quality crayons, but you couldn't color with them...there was a layer of clear wax that always rose to the top and even once we cut them up it was hard to color with them :-(

Jen said...

This looks like so much fun - can't wait to try it one day. (Although I'm a little intimidated by the drill...)

Jen said...

p.s. Stop by McSmithleyville for your "back-at-ya" lemonade award: http://mcsmithley.blogspot.com/2009/02/these-are-few-of-my-favorite-things.html

Stephanie said...

Supercute idea.

Here's another one for you:

You've been passed the Happy meme if you'd care to keep it and share it. You can find it here.

Unknown said...

okay...stealing this one...hahah!

RunninL8 said...

What a great idea!! Beats those cheesey dora the explorer paper valentines and candy any day!!!

Anonymous said...

these are great and making them into bracelets...genious!

making me want to use power tools :).
hillary

Marina said...

You guys are so nice, makes me want to craft more often :)

Thanks so much for the nice words and Happy Valentines Day!

...and thanks Jen and Stephanie for passing the love... *squeeze*

Unknown said...

hey you...i tagged you on my blog..;)

Anonymous said...

I know what we are doing next year...And maybe for another season with a different mold!...What a great idea Marina!...We have to do this one, so don't be surprised if you see it on my blog one day :-)

Andrea said...

Deanna was just telling me about these when you walked up. I love this! I've been meaning to make these out of our broken crayons for a while but your heart shapes and drilled holes with crocheted yarn bracelets push it out of the ballpark. It was so nice to meet you today. I look forward to next year. Hit me up at felony@waste.org if you like.

Anonymous said...

what a fantastic idea - i love it!

Katie said...

I have been wanting to make so of these thank you for the tips, what did you use as a mold, or what can you use as molds might be the better question.

Marina said...

Hey Katie- welcome! I used a silicone heart shaped molds I found at Joanne's.