Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Waldorf Dolls- More Lessons from the Sage

Recently, I spent another wonderful day at the Berkeley Rose School attending another doll making workshop led by my dear friend Christine Schreier of the Puppenstube. This time the focus was on making 8" dress up dolls.

As she had done in the previous workshop, Christine had pre-sewn the doll bodies to save time during the class.
I loved all the different skin tones she had prepared and chose a darker tone for my "baby" waiting to be birthed!
This class had a special visitor, a very sweet father who wanted to learn to make a doll for his child . Christine told a story about another man who had attended one of her dollmaking workshops for Waldorf teacher training . This gentleman always had trouble with the handwork until Christine invited him to use a bigger needle which made all the difference! The man had actually wept with joy in learning that he had been using the wrong tools! Fortunately for our father in attendance that day, no tears were shed :)
It's funny how you can feel so attached to your doll as you are making him or her. As I was stitching the shoulder, I found myself whispering "shhhhh" as one does to soothe a child... I was so worried that my "baby" was in pain from the needle!
The time flew so quickly that afternoon! We didn't get to finish the dolls hair, but I made a make-shift wig and will be working on a special hairstyle for my newest baby :)
When I brought this new baby home, Nico held her right away and immediately christened her "MamaLove"....

ahh, MamaLove indeed :)

15 comments:

renee ~ heirloom seasons said...

I become attached to my dolls as I make them too. I find myself holding just the head and having to give it a kiss!
xo

Nicola said...

i love that a dad attended! i love your doll baby. nico is a cutie.
nicola
Which Name?

FrontierDreams said...

What a sweet post <3 I love these workshops you are attending with Christine. You are very lucky my dear friend, and your doll is just perfect! You going to sew her a dress, next? Oh and a bonnet! Hee,hee.

I agree with Renee, I do the same thing and even after years of play I still hold the dolls I made lovingly while the others are more likely to be 'just carried', my girls do the same, and I bet your boys will, too.

Less than three always <3

Anne said...

Lovely....:)

Anonymous said...

I just love these adventures with your dollies! So sweet! Perhaps one day I will be so inspired!

Joy said...

That's so amazing, Marina! You did a fantastic job. Do you know how fortunate you are to be so near such wonderful resources? :)

Anonymous said...

so sweet! how fun to learn from her!

* * said...

so very, very beautiful!
such a gentle process of creating such a magical friend for your little one.

momma rae said...

so special that you get to attend these workshops! it is so fun to have your babies come to life in your hands. ;)

Ariella said...

How amazing to be able to take these workshops. Your doll is beautiful!

Lisa said...

Marina, what a wonderful class! I wish we had something like that around here. I know what you mean getting attached to the makings. Every critter I make is so hard to let go of when finished. Your doll looks great. Keep up the good work.

lisa

Misha said...

That was such a wonderful class and it was great to meet you! I'm glad Nico loves the new baby.

Mine is still hairless and my son Wyatt keeps asking me to put hair on her. For now she is snuggled in my knitting in progress basket. I think she'll get hair and clothes this weekend.

Christine is a wonderful teacher and I'm so inspired to create more gorgeous Waldorf handiwork.

Micha said...

The doll is beautiful! I'm sure it was wonderful to be part in this workshop.

Tanya said...

What a sweet, beautiful doll. I recently made one for my 8 year old and am about to start another for my soon-to-be 6 year old. I wasn't expecting to become so attached to her and realized I quickly needed to let go (otherwise I would drive myself bananas with her getting dirty, etc.) So wonderful seeing a papa making a doll!!!!

Centro la Milpa said...

Lovely, we are having a Waldorf doll class here in Costa Rica, too.