Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Chasing the Light


Photography is new love for me. The camera and I only been acquainted for a year but oh, I do love it so. I love the stillness in the moment before the shutter clicks... I love the way I look at things differently as if framing a shot...I love how I see things through new eyes that finds the beauty in everything and I love the reverence I feel when a scene illuminated by natural light strikes a chord within...

I don't really know how to use the flash well, so I learn how to use the camera to catch the light in the way that I'd like, but more often than not I learn to follow the light wherever it may be.

Recently I started working on a photography project for the wonderful toy website Carl and Me. I'm photographing some of our boys favorite toys, Fagus vehicles. It's been a fun assignment positioning the trucks as seen through the eyes of a child as I often found myself belly down in the dirt.

But the light, sigh, the light. What a funny mistress she is, dancing through the trees in the morning for beautiful effect or shining harshly in the afternoon- giving everything a bright, white caste. As the days grow shorter, I find myself missing the light as the sun sets ever so early. It makes for a funny photography schedule, but I am thankful for a patient, generous toyshop proprietor.

So this has been my work in progress these days, doing what I love, spending time with the camera and chasing the light...

As always with warmth and light~
Marina


Please do take a moment and check out Carl and Me. I found this incredible shop when I was searching for my Nico's birthday gift. Not only do they carry an extensive selection of the wonderful, high quality Fagus Trucks which are made in a German Factory that hires and trains developmentally challenged adults, there is also an amazing selection of toys that as mother of three boys, I know I will look forward to having in the years to come!

11 comments:

Me and my Dad said...

Your pictures are words are amazing individually and I am in awe of how you combine the two.....

Andrea said...

That is one cool shop! Why haven't I been shopping here all along. I feel like I bought a ton of wooden Waldorfy toys for xmas last year and they were all just toys that our friend's daughters enjoy. This is where I need to shop.

And your pictures are so great, I really admire this new talent you are developing.

Joy said...

The lighting IS great. I struggle with that now after the time change since I work all day. Makes it tough to get decent pics for the blog. I try to make do with a bounce flash, but it's hard sometimes. I frequently just have to settle for less. Love those trucks! My youngest would flip out for those.

FrontierDreams said...

Congrats on the job! Isn't it so humbling when ppl ask you for photos?! Thanks for the site! Now to have a boy :)
I have been struggling with lighting since we moved here b/c living in rainy oregon AND in the woods where sunlight can't get through the trees - well, it makes it a bit of a challenge.
I, too, don't use a flash, I just don't like the way it makes my pictures look. Some day I'll invest in a nice flash though to play around with, until then.. Yes, the light!! <3

Nicola said...

marina...beautiful. there is something especially about the light this time of year that begs to be followed and captured. you did it in such a lovely way. love the trucks.
nicola
http://whichname.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

how is it that you and i are developing along such similar paths in many ways? haha i too have found my love of photography in the last year and i have an old camera to guide me right now. i cannot wait to get my hands on a better one, but this one has served us for 6 years now and is close to my heart for whatever reason..LOL

love your photos dear...

xoxo

Heather said...

These are gorgeous photos. Photography lets us tell a story with out words, which is such a neat gift.

* * said...

the golden sunlight is so lovely in each of your photos! it is lovely to hear about something you are enjoying!

renee ~ heirloom seasons said...

Your photographs are beautiful Marina! I love the stone stairs through the trees!

Stephanie said...

I'm with you on the flash.
I refuse to use it. :) Obviously.
lol
And my babes never sit still.
So there you have it.
blur.

I don't care! I love it anyway.

Anonymous said...

i am glad that someone other than me sees the light in your photos. what a fun job!
thanks for sharing. i too am a naturally lit photographer. it is fun working alongside mother nature and all of her tricks.