Friday, November 13, 2009

Nourishment


Nourishment. That is the only word I can use to describe my morning with my crafty friends who I call my Inspiration Circle. I think I must have gone for too long of a stretch with only the kids and not enough "me time" because there were more than a few times that I probably was laughing a little too loudly or sitting there with a huge, dumb grin on my face, just out of the sheer joy of being with other women who just get it. Women who are warm, creative, talented and oh my God, funny as all get out. It's really so wonderful to hang out with moms who are just so real. I'm truly a lucky gal :)

Andrea taught me how to spin wool using a drop spindle. I never thought of yarn as having an energy, but as I spun it I could see how the feel of it and the movement can lend itself to a certain energy.

Beth was learning how to Andean Ply, a method in which one length of yarn (or single ball) is made into a two ply yarn by wrapping it in ones hand and then taking the two ends and re-spinning it in the other direction.
Andrea is spinning using this gorgeous drop spindle called a Jenkins Turkish Spindle. The crossbars are made out of pink ivory wood, her son calls those spindles The Helicopters.

Namja was working on a knitted fairy doll. I could not believe the four tiny needles she was using to make the arms and thumb! Her three year old daughter told her the arm looked like a part of the male anatomy... and of course, with the mindset of thirteen year old girls at a slumber party, we found this hilarious.

Jenny displays the crocheted blanket in progress which was incredibly yummy and soft

Kay works on a scarf for her daughter

Look at this beautiful rustic loom Andrea's husband found on the sidewalk!

I really love and treasure these times with these incredible women, there is so much learning and encouragement! I feel like this is what morning tea would be like if you, my dear blogging friends could all come together :)


Thank you my wonderful crafty friends near and far,
for all the inspiration and nourishment you provide!



18 comments:

Traumkraut said...

so beautiful....
I'm thinking about founding something like a crafty inspiring circle of women around here...

... but it's just too hard to find the right ones... the ones who really are able to give.. not just taking... *sigh*

Lots of love from Germany
M.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Marina, I adore this loom!!! I nerver thought a loom could be accessible, but this could so be handmade.
You meetings looks very nourishing soul-wise indeed. You are very lucky to have such a talented group of friend to meet with. Enjoy every minute of it.

* * said...

I appreciate the title to your post! What a gorgeous post, so full with beauty! Your photos are incredible and brought me joy in seeing so many woman creating together with their hands as well as creating memories in your hearts! I am so very happy for you to have found your tribe Marina, what a rich blessing this time creating with friends must be! Many warm wishes and a wonderful weekend to you!

Nicola said...

oh, i am so glad you had such a wonderful and fulfilling time crafting with friends!
nicola
http://whichname.blogspot.com

Lisa said...

Oh, this post is sooooo warm and beautiful! I love it! I'm so envious that you have such a talented group of friends that enjoy handwork. My friends don't do anything like I do, they just expect me to make the things for them. ;)

Have a great weekend!
lisa

Stephanie said...

sigh.
so, so lovely.

FrontierDreams said...

Oh what wonderful nourishment, indeed! I get a 2 hour break today to go to our school's 'hart of advent' event which is just the parents getting together and crafting. I hope to find an inspiration circle of my own soon. BUt that involves actually meeting people, something I have yet to do! :p

And spinning!! WOO HOOOO!!!!!!!!! <3 <3

Anonymous said...

that is true bliss... I just learned to drop spindle at the Urban Fauna in SF and it is a little addictive! Also empowering knowing that I can make yarn which I can then make into a garment with very minimal equipment... thanks for sharing your wonderful crafting time...

Jen said...

Hooray for inspiring friends! I have a drop spindle in my closet along with some gorgeous alpaca roving waiting for me to learn to spin. This winter I will do it - thanks for the inspiration!

Simple Mama said...

I so wish I had a group like this to belong to. *wink, wink - Nicole*

What a lovely post. You have some very talented friends, Marina

Atouria said...

Lovely! I spy that fire in the background as well. What a great comfort to be surrounded by such ambiance and such amazing women!

Unknown said...

okay...so if it wasn't a strong pull before, it's incredibly strong now...one day i will be sitting with you and knitting, weaving, spinning or just being. what an amazing post!! i am so happy you got some time to just create. you deserve mama...

so much love!!

Joy said...

Wow! What an amazing group you are able to participate in! I would love to be a part of something like that. How cool are all those spinning methods!

Andrea said...

What would I give to take pictures like you. Really lovely. Thanks for coming over again, like you, I need the adult contact.

Kelly said...

What a wonderful group of crafty inspiration and adult company - all that spinning, weaving, knitting, crocheting, chatting ...sigh. You have a beautiful blog!

Anonymous said...

so beautiful. i hope to find similar nourishment here as well.

love that you are learning new crafts. i just ordered a drop spindle and have a few friends here who want to learn too.

what fun.

renee ~ heirloom seasons said...

I am so happy that you get to enjoy this wonderful time! My best crafting/sewing friend lives 45 minutes away, on farm, with 4 children. We have wonderful visits but not a lot of creating time! Of course I do have my girls to sew away with all day long!

RunninL8 said...

How WONDERFUL! I need more woman/creative time like that!
And what a find that loom is!