Monday, November 30, 2009

Loving Hands

Nico and Birgitte

Recently at our local Waldorf School's Harvest Faire, I had the most wonderful opportunity to visit with my dear, dear friend Christine Schreier, the proprietor of The Puppenstube. Sometimes in your life, you are fortunate to meet people whose spirit touches you with warmth and whose lifeforce gives you so much joy...Christine is one such person. While many of you know her from the gorgeous wooden Buntspechte figures she carries in her shop, it is her dolls that I hold close to my heart. It's become increasingly important to me to have the toys that my children play with be made with loving hands. Hands that put love and care into their craft. Hands that want to honor this magical time that is childhood. Though hundreds of dolls have been birthed through her hands, you can feel her joy in creating each one.

Luca sleeps with his Star Child Baby

Recently Christine moved up north to Lake County where she is neighbors with the illustrious Bill Bluhm of Heartwood Arts. I had the privilege to meet Bill that day and I have to say, I was a bit star struck. Bill is the inventor of the building playclip, each one made by his hands, and the artist who creates beautiful gnome homes. Bill is a big, gentle bear of a man who is so incredibly thoughtful in his work. He is an artisan who creates toys that honor nature and allow children to fully explore where their imagination takes them.

Luca with one of his favorite toys, the hollow from the Heartwood Arts block set

These amazing artisans Christine and Bill, have begun collaborating on new toy designs and I was blessed to be the recipient of their first collaboration... the ferrynewcastle.


"The original and first ferrynewcastle for Marina by Bill Bluhm, 11/17/09"

This piece was inspired by a dream that visited Bill one night. When he woke the next morning, he set to work on recreating this vision and by the end of the day the ferrynewcastle was born. It is an incredibly beautiful piece of art that takes my boys away in their play to magical lands where little gnomes and fairies hide.

Christine and Bill, both of have years of experience of being toy makers, but more importantly also of being Waldorf parents. They are truly lovely wonderful people and it is reflected in the playthings that they create. There are many new designs in the works for the upcoming year and I am so excited to see what transpires with my dear friend and my new friend!


Much love and gratitude to you, Christine and Bill!

14 comments:

Tan Family said...

How fortunate for you that you were able to get one of these magical castles! What a beautiful blog post. Knowing more about the people who make items that we buy makes them even more special. :)

Anonymous said...

wow. i'd be a bit star struck too. what an enchanted little castle. oh my. i look forward to seeing how you incorporate it into your home.

what childlike wonder!

Anonymous said...

those are all gorgeous toys, you can feel the love even through the computer.

waldorfmama said...

oh my goodness, marina - what a very lucky girl you are! :)

Unknown said...

oh how beautiful! what a blessed visit and so much fun...:) so glad you got to have such a wonderful experience my friend...

xoxox

Jen said...

Amazing!

Simple Mama said...

<3 <3 <3 I would be star struck too. Your boys (and you) are so lucky and blessed to have these two people in your life. :)

Nicola said...

beautiful! the crafts and the heartfelt tribute!
nicola
http://whichname.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

so beautiful! I love christine and all of her work and have yet to meet Bill. If you are local, our school (Greenwood in Mill Valley) is having our winter faire this Saturday (SFWS is having theirs also on Sunday)... what an amazing gift!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an absolutely beautiful toy!

FrontierDreams said...

Ughh I have been tryign to comment all day, darn computer! *cough* anyways...What lovely goodies as always! We are going to have to look into one after the holidays. You are so fortunate to be the first!!! I am so envious of you having them so close by, what amazing people to have as inspiration and friends.
I can't wait to see what beauty you discover at your winter faire this weekend <3 Sending you tons of love!!!

Goddess Leonie * GoddessGuidebook.com said...

oh these are so scrumptious, dearheart... what a blessing you are!

Mama Rose said...

Marina, I so understand what you mean in regards to the types of toys you bring into your home and the energy and love they carry to our children. How true that is! Though my little ones are only 1 (this Friday!) and 2.5 years old, I feel it as well. Both Bill and Christine do sound like amazing people and my...such talent!Absolutely beautiful toys!!

Lisa said...

love the newcastle!
happy holidays!
lisa