Monday, July 6, 2009

Discovering Zakka


Zakka: The art of seeing the savvy in the ordinary and mundane...

As I have been searching for supplies for various crafting projects, I came across the phrase "Zakka". A Japanese design movement, it encompasses so many of the aesthetics that I find soothing and happy... simplicity, handmade craftmanship, charming details. I've been so excited to learn more about it! As I have been looking for inspiration for Matteo's birthday crown, I came across this book Design Collection for Kids on an old Soulemama post. I ordered it not realizing that it is written in Japanese, but when it came today, I was doing a happy dance just browsing through the pages! So many lovely little embroidery and applique ideas! I couldn't wait, so I pulled out some scrap felt to make a little practice swatch...


I love the retro feel of so many of the fabrics and trims I've come across. I ordered some trim (and other supplies) for birthday crowns for all of the the boys upcoming birthdays!


I have been feeling so excited lately about the art of creating things by hand. Tonight I felt a calm that I hadn't felt in awhile as I sat and embroidered my little piece of felt, finding beauty in the simple little stitches.

What gives you joy as you craft, dear friends?


5 comments:

Alisha said...

It has to be my own excitement in expectation of seeing all the smiles my loved one will have from enjoying the gifts his mother has lovingly made.

Unknown said...

oh it all looks so great! i need that book i think..shh..haha

crafting is harder for me these days with all the extra little ones i take care of, but when i do get a chance to put together things for the girls, my favorite part is imagining how it will be when they see their surprise. they always are so excited and gracious about it all...:) mama made is the best!

miss you my dear....sounds like we've both been so busy!

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

oh I love your book...I may have to go looking for it too! Crafting is hard to fit in with the girls around all summer and the littlest one greatly reducing her nap time lately but I do love a clean and colorful studio to work in.

Anonymous said...

Zakka - delicious! An interesting crafty question. I've never been a crafter until DS. He resisted nurturing for so long. Crafting was a way that I felt like I was nurturing him even in the days before he could form an opinion about what I made him. Now, though he appreciates my physical nurturing, he's generally uninterested in my crafting attempts. Still, I press on. Hoping one day he'll feel the love I pour in to each project.

FrontierDreams said...

oh my i'm behind!! for me, crafting is my meditation. i don't always think about the end result but of the peace i get from the process.

i love everything!!